Course Description: This full year course is designed to provide a strong foundation for all students studying the Spanish language. Students will examine complex sentence structures, learn new grammatical concepts, and speak the target language in class. A major goal of this course is proficiency of the components of the target language. Students will also demonstrate fluency in speaking and writing in the target language.
Course Goals: By conclusion of this academic year, students will:
- have completed units 1 through 8 of the course textbook.
- have developed the skills necessary for successful mastery of a foreign language (listening, speaking, reading, writing and comprehension).
- have compiled an organized and neatly kept notebook of all class notes and assignments.
- have become familiar with the cultural heritage of Spain, as well as develop a familiarity with the cultures of other Spanish-speaking countries.
- have developed a global awareness and level of comfort in language study.
Rules, Procedures and Expectations for Spanish Class
- Come to class prepared with textbook, workbooks, notebook and something to write with.
- Respect the learning environment and others.
- Be in your seat when the bell rings and stay there until you are dismissed.
- Listen to directions and/or instructions the first time they are given.
- Students will keep a notebook in a three ring binder divided into three sections, notes, classwork and homework.
- Each day begins with a warm up activity which is to be done in the notebook when appropriate.
- Wrap up activities will be done at the end of class and are to be included in the notebook when appropriate.
- Check my website daily for the palabra del día and other helpful information related to the textbooks and useful websites.
- Ask to use the restroom (in Spanish) before class starts or at another appropriate time that does not to disturb the class.
- Students are expected to participate daily in the class discussions and reviews. Students should expect to be called on at least once a class period.
- For paired and group activities students will be assigned a partner(s) as required for the activity in the beginning of each quarter
- Class will be conducted in Spanish
- Assessment: My grading system is based on points. At the end of the quarter your total points will be divided by the number of total possible points. Students will have 2 vocabulary quizzes per chapter and 2 grammar quizzes per chapter. Notebooks will be collected at the end of each quarter and are worth 50 points.
Homework is to be done in its’ entirety every night it is assigned. Each homework is worth 1 point, at the end of the quarter all the points are added up that makes up his homework grade. Student will receive on free homework pass a quarter. Students may make up missed homework for half credit ONE DAY late.
ALL HOMEWORK IS POSTED ON MY WEBSITE ON A DAILY BASIS