The mission of the Xavier High School Galluzzo Media Technology Center is to:
- Prepare students who are ethical and effective users of information
- Provide a wide variety of materials and resources necessary to implement, enrich, and support the curriculum of the school
- Partner with faculty members in integrating information literacy skills with the curriculum in individual disciplines, as well as encouraging cross-disciplinary study
- Foster positive attitudes toward learning and encourage reading as a lifelong activity
- Provide materials dedicated to aiding the faculty, staff, and administration in continuing their professional growth
Media Center Hours
- 7:30 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. Monday through Friday
Research Tools: The OPAC (on-line public access computer) is the electronic card catalog that lists the media center’s holdings by author/title or subject. Periodical indexes are also available. Students have access to the Internet for research purposes only. There are several online databases available for student use. These are accessible from any web browser with a user name and password. The staff of the Galluzzo center offers assistance to students and faculty with the location and use of all information resources.
Orientation Classes: All freshmen English classes receive an orientation to the research databases and to the policies of the media center. A goal of the Galluzzo Center is to ensure that students are effective users of information and technology.
A.V. Equipment: There are twenty-three computers available for student use. Presently our software standards are: Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access application software). The Galluzzo Center maintains a significant collection of audiovisual materials and equipment that is available for student and faculty use. There is a scanner, photocopier, digital camera and camcorder, LCD projectors for PowerPoint presentations, Mimio (an interactive digital whiteboard recorder), audio books and DVD players. All are available for classroom use.
Atmosphere: An atmosphere of quiet study prevails in the Galluzzo Center. Students are not allowed to use computers and/or calculators for video games or social use during the school day. Reading is encouraged both for school and for pleasure.
- Library Catalog
- researchIT CT (state provided research databases)
- EBSCO (school provided research databases)
- Gale (school provided research databases)
Please see the Library Resources group in onCampus for additional information, as well as user name and password information for the databases.